What is the European Genre Forum?
Now in its third year, the European Genre Forum (EGF) is a training programme that sets to boost the careers of future European players in the genre film industry through three talent labs, packed with trainings, panels mentoring and pitching sessions. For this programme, which this year is exceptionally condensed into two labs, up to eight projects will be selected. The programme is jointly organized by Fantastic Zagreb Film Festival, Imagine Film Festival (Amsterdam), Black Nights FF and its Industry platform Industry@Tallinn& Baltic Event (Tallinn). The EGF is aimed at emerging European genre filmmakers. The training cycle will not only boost the film projects they are working on, but will also give all participants invaluable knowledge, insights and a professional network. At the end of the training programme, filmmakers will also be connected to decision makers within the fantastic film industry.
The EGF 2020 consists of two talent labs. The Producing Lab takes place in Zagreb during Fantastic Zagreb, from 16-19, 2020. The Marketing&Packaging Lab takes place in Tallinn during PÖFF, end of November 2020.
During these two talent labs, participants are able to discuss their project with consultants and mentors, learn about the different aspects of co-production, sales and packaging from Industry professionals.
Who can apply for European Genre Forum?
The EGF is aimed at European directors developing their first or second feature length genre film project with an established producer attached. Genre films and related genres includes horror, science fiction, fantasy, anime, dark thrillers, dark comedies, mystery, adventure and martial arts as well as TV series. Documentaries with a focus on genre film can also be considered.
Participants should previously have directed/produced at least one short film that has been screened internationally.
What does the European Genre Forum offer?
The opportunity to take your project to a new level, with the help of seasoned professionals and a training programme tailored to first time filmmakers in the areas of producing, directing and sales & packaging with the focus to develop the project ready for further professional markets.
Invitation includes access to all the Festival and EGF activities including:
- Live pitch sessions from the selected projects
- Meeting & networking opportunities with project participants and a large variety of seasoned professionals from the international film industry
- Panels and workshops on the latest developments and trends in genre film production, financing, and distribution
- A profile in the EGF Programme booklets
- Access to Festival screenings and Industry events where applicable
The EGF covers three hotel nights for the duration of the EGF in each participating city and for every lab. During the labs, lunch meals are also covered.
NB: The EGF has commissioned seasoned professionals to assess the entered projects. Invitation to the EGF training cycle is at the sole discretion of the EGF organizers and the organizers retain the right not to elaborate on the selection of attending project. At no point, the submitting party of a project can claim the right to be selected. Once selected, presence of the participants is mandatory. If not respected, the EGF reserves itself the right to charge for the lodging fees.
- Completed first draft of script
- Script has not been submitted to any other market or workshop prior to EGF. EGF collaborates with other (genre) co-production platforms to ensure eligibility for further markets.
- Producer and director have a European citizenship. The EGF will also accept one project from a non European country.
- All talent labs are in English, a conversational level of English is therefore required.
- Producer and director must attend both labs (screenwriter may join at own costs).