What is the European Genre Forum?
Now in its eight year, the European Genre Forum (EGF) is a training programme that sets to boost the careers of future European players in the genre film industry through four talent labs, packed with trainings, panels mentoring and pitching sessions. The programme is jointly organised by Fantastic Zagreb Film Festival, Imagine Film Festival (Amsterdam), Black Nights FF and its Industry platform Industry@Tallinn&Baltic Event (Tallinn).
The objective of the European Genre Forum (EGF) is to provide comprehensive cross sector and film life cycle training for professionals working in European fantastic film – a rapidly growing pan-European industry that is still distinctively different from the general film industry. Its unique requirements for creative and fiscal development, production characteristics and distribution and monetising networks have created a dedicated infrastructure of markets, festivals and – now – training.
The cycle consists of four talent labs in the second half of 2022. Together, the labs will increase the level of the participating projects in every aspect: creatively, financially, legally and in terms of access to the market.
The Screenwriting and Directing Lab (Fantastic Zagreb) takes place in August and is on online event. It focuses on script development and other artistic aspects of the projects.
The Script Lab (Fantastic Zagreb) takes place online in September and it a two-day pressure cooker that follows up on the script development of the first lab.
The Producing Lab in October takes place during the Imagine Film Festival in Amsterdam and is aimed at the business side, with coproduction and legal aspects among its topics.
The Marketing and Packaging Lab in November is part of the Industry@Tallinn & Baltic Event programme of the Black Nights Film Festival in Tallinn and is focusing on pitching, packaging, marketing and sales.
The EGF training cycle is aimed at European first or second feature film director/producer teams developing a genre film project. Eight projects will be selected and the participants will attend all talent labs.
Who can apply for European Genre Forum?
The EGF is aimed at European directors developing their first or second feature length genre film project with an established producer attached. Genre films and related genres includes horror, science fiction, fantasy, anime, dark thrillers, dark comedies, mystery, adventure and martial arts as well as TV series. Documentaries with a focus on genre film can also be considered.
Participants should previously have directed/produced at least one short film that has been screened internationally.
What does the European Genre Forum offer?
The opportunity to take your project to a new level, with the help of seasoned professionals and a training programme tailored to first time filmmakers in the areas of producing, directing and sales & packaging with the focus to develop the project ready for further professional markets.
Invitation includes access to all the Festival and EGF activities including:
- Live pitch sessions from the selected projects
- Meeting & networking opportunities with project participants and a large variety of seasoned professionals from the international film industry
- Panels and workshops on the latest developments and trends in genre film production, financing, and distribution
- A profile in the EGF Programme booklets
- Access to Festival screenings and Industry events where applicable
The EGF covers three hotel nights for the duration of the EGF in each participating city and for every lab. During the labs, lunch meals are also covered.
NB: The EGF has commissioned seasoned professionals to assess the entered projects. Invitation to the EGF training cycle is at the sole discretion of the EGF organizers and the organizers retain the right not to elaborate on the selection of attending project. At no point, the submitting party of a project can claim the right to be selected. Once selected, presence of the participants is mandatory. If not respected, the EGF reserves itself the right to charge for the lodging fees.
- Completed first draft of script
- Script has not been submitted to any other market or workshop prior to EGF. EGF collaborates with other (genre) co-production platforms to ensure eligibility for further markets.
- Producer and director have a European citizenship. The EGF will also accept one project from a non European country.
- All talent labs are in English, a conversational level of English is therefore required.
- Producer and director must attend both labs (screenwriter may join at own costs).
- Fully completed and valid submission form
- Screenplay (a treatment may be submitted upon approval, with a commitment to have a script ready a month before the event if selected)
- Long (2 pages) and short (200 words) synopsis
- Director’s statement
- Producer’s intent
- Basic production budget estimate with indication of confirmed financing if possible
- Director, writer and producer bio (as applicable). Other key talent biographies and showreels (cast, creative key creative personnel adding value to the project etc) if available.
- All submissions must be in English (including script)
The participation fee for the EGF 2022 is 1.200 EUR per project
Submission deadline: The call for project ends on Wednesday, 1 June, 2022 at 23:59 (GMT +1)