What is the European Genre Forum and what can I expect ?
The European Genre Forum (EGF) is an training programme that sets to boost the careers of future players in the genre film industry through four days of trainings, panels and pitching sessions. The programme is jointly organized by Fantastic Zagreb, Imagine Film Festival (Amsterdam), Black Nights FF and its Industry platform Industry@Tallinn& Baltic Event (Tallinn) and Screen Division (Paris). The programme is supported by the Creative Europe – MEDIA programme of the European Union.
During three talent labs throughout 2017, you will be able to discuss your project with script consultants, learn about the different aspects of (co) production, sales and packaging from Industry professionals and talk to established genre filmmakers.
The EGF consists of three talent labs. The Director’s Lab takes place in Amsterdam during the Imagine Film Festival, from 16 to 20 April 2017. The Producer’s Lab takes place in Zagreb during Fantastic Zagreb, from 05 to 09 July 2017.The Packaging Lab takes place in Tallinn during PÖFF, from 24 to 28 November 2017.
Who can apply for European Genre Forum?
The EGF is aimed at European director/producer teams developing their 1st or 2nd feature length genre film project. Genre films and related genres includes horror, science fiction, fantasy, anime, dark thrillers, dark comedies, mystery, adventure and martial arts. Documentaries with a focus on genre film can also be considered.
Participants should previously have directed/produced at least one short film that has been screened internationally.
- Completed first draft of script
- Script has not been submitted to any other market or workshop prior to EGF. EGF collaborates with other (genre) co-production platforms to ensure eligibility for further markets.
- Producer and director have European Union citizenship or come from countries participating in the MEDIA programme of Creative Europe
- Fully completed and valid submission form
- Screenplay (a treatment may be submitted upon approval, with a commitment to have a script ready a month before the event if selected)
- Long (2 pages) and short (200 words) synopsis
- Director’s statement
- Producer’s intent
- Basic production budget estimate with indication of confirmed financing if possible
- Director, writer and producer bio (as applicable).Other key talent biographies and showreels (cast, creative key creative personnel adding value to the project etc) if available.
All submissions must be in English.
All talent labs are in English. A conversational level of English is required.
Screenwriter and director must be available for the first lab, producer and director for the other two labs.
Presence of the participants is mandatory. If not respected, the EGF reserves itself the right to charge for the travel and lodging fees.
The EGF has commissioned three seasoned professionals to assess the entered projects. Invitation to the EGF training cycle is at the sole discretion of the EGF organizers and the organizers retain the right to not to elaborate on the selection of attending project. At no point, the submitting party of a project can claim the right to be selected.
The opportunity to take your project to a new level, with the help of seasoned professionals and a training programme tailored to first time filmmakers in the areas of producing, directing and sales & packaging with the focus to develop the project ready for further professional markets. Three hotel nights for duration of the EGF in each participating city.
The European Genre Forum can offer scholarships to some participants. The allocation of the scholarships shall be at the EGF’s sole discretion.
Invitation includes access to all the Festival and EGF activities including:
- Live pitch sessions from the selected projects
- Meeting & networking opportunities with project participants and a large variety of seasoned professionals from the international film industry
- Panels and workshops on the latest developments and trends in genre film production, financing, and distribution
- A profile in the EGF Guide
- Access to Festival screenings and Industry events where applicable
For all questions related to the European Genre Forum, please contact our coordinator:
Annick Mahnert – email@example.com.